Skip to main content

Thoughts on Upcoming Movies and Television Pilots

Upcoming Movies 2014 -- These are movies that are scheduled for wide releases and feature people of color as the main characters...I hope I'm missing some.
  • Think Like a Man Too - June 20
    Verdict: I didn't see the first one, don't think I'll be seeing this one, even if Kevin Hart is in it.
  • Get on Up - August 1
    Verdict: I need to see another trailer. I'm leaning toward seeing the James Brown biopic right now.
  • Addicted - September 5
    Verdict: The synopsis of a woman being addicted to sex makes this seem like it will be too much like Tyler Perry's Temptation, which I did not enjoy. At all.
  • No Good Deed - September 12
    Verdict: If the trailer doesn't look hacky, I will see this because Idris Elba is in it.
  • Annie - December 19
    Verdict: I liked the original Annie. I like Jamie Foxx (I seem to be the only person who does) so I'll give it a shot.

Upcoming Television Pilot Developments 2014-2015 -- These are TV pilots being ordered or developed that feature a majority of people of color in the main roles and/or are written by writers who are people of color.

ABC
  • Black-ish
    Verdict: The fact that they are playing takesies-backsies with the title makes me think this Anthony Anderson pilot won't see the light of day. I remember the Hughley show on ABC; it would have been a better fit on another network. Where would they put this? I'm very interested, though.
  • Cristela
    Verdict: I'm not interested in this. A Latina trying to make it as a law student while broke seems broad somehow. I think it might make it to pilot, however.
  • Far East Orlando
    Verdict: This one is a variation of Black-ish, though it feels built on stereotypes rather than a way to give me insights on Taiwanese-American culture. If this makes it to TV, I might be changing the channel.
  • Keep It Together
    Verdict: As time passes, it seems less and less likely that this Kevin Hart produced show will get off the ground. It might, though. But what's the hook? It's about a comedian's life...okay?
  • How to Get Away With Murder
    Verdict: This one seems like a serious Legally Blonde. This one doesn't have a unique angle like Scandal did. I can turn on the TV right this second and find a legal thriller on.
FOX
  • Empire
    Verdict: Well, I hope this makes it on air. I know they didn't very well gather Terrence Howard and Taraji P. Henson for no reason, did they? I've got to see what they're doing here.
NBC
  • Mr. Robinson
    Verdict: Yep, I'll be looking at this. Might not come to nothing, but I'll be there to make sure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Extant Trailer

I wonder how this Extant mini-series will be. The trailer looked kind of melodramatic to me. I'm not really into flashy, cheap drama. Flashy, yes. Cheap, no. Halle Berry will be an astronaut who returns to Earth after a year-long trip in space. I guess she'll come back with a guest... She'll obviously be pregnant.